With the 2018 season coming to an end we thought we could write a small piece to touch on some of the great things over the year.
Firstly we would like to thank everyone that came to fish at Lac Du Villefond and spent time in our little slice of carpy heaven. 2018 as always was a rollercoaster with each week never knowing how the fish would react and who we had turning up to try for a new personal best carp.
We had some really fantastic results, here are a few of the highlights:
1. The most notable capture has to be our first 70lb fish. Arnold our big male broke the lake record at 71lb+. This was mid year and after spawning so we fully expect Arnie to be even bigger now. Being a male Arnie doesn’t have the massive weight drops during spawning our big girls do and has steadily been growing massive, showing no signs of slowing down.
2. The scared common, a massive female she has just grown so fast since we stocked her in 2011 and in 2018 she reached 60lb, the current lake record for a common.
3. The most fish caught ever by one person in a week. Bare in mind we are not a runs water, the focus is more on the size of carp. That means 34 fish in a week made for one very happy angler and probably a very sore back and arm.
4. Over one winter the cormorants fed in our lake extensively, not a problem normally as they don’t touch the big carp. However they did eat a massive amount of our perch resulting in the spawning carp babies surviving. This meant that during the year these babies grew so fast and so fat at 18 months old they were 8-10lb! Great for the future but they became a pain to our anglers eating their bait so as they were such amazing growers we had no problem selling them to other lakes.
We also traded some with a fish farmer for some absolutely massive Zander to predate our babies in the future . Zander to around 13lb, Zander like I couldn’t imagine and cannot wait to catch.
5. The cabin made its debut in 2018 and actually had the scared common at 60lb caught from it. Not only is it making the cold rain and even heat bareable it’s producing some lovely fish.
6. During filming of our lake video we managed to capture a lake record 106lb+ catfish being landed, which made for an amazing sequence.
Those our the biggest news highlights from the year and we are already excited to see what great things are to come in 2019.
Find out more about Villefond here – Carp fishing in France